Geek Stuff
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Geek Stuff

Discussion Group for Geek related Topics: Comics Movies Games and More

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rising Stars and various spoilers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Quasi

Rising Stars and various spoilers Empty
PostSubject: Rising Stars and various spoilers   Rising Stars and various spoilers EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 2:18 am

Cept for the last 10 pages where indiana jones jumps over a swimming pool with a shark in it on his hover bike it was a fantastic read. I think lately we just cant handle endings anymore where the writer seems to take the easy way out and just be like "It was aliens".

Indiana jones vs aliens was an OK toned down indiana jones movie not nearly as dark as temple of doom (my personal favorite) but acceptable...until the last 8 minutes, with flying saucers and alien skeletons. Indiana jones is about a guy who fights nazi's and other period evil powers in an effort to gather various religious articles, be it cups, arks or glowy rocks...he does not find alien skulls and space ships. We (the audience) arent being nit picky or spoiled. A common theme has been laid out in 3 previous installments and for fuck sakes thats what we signed on for in the 4th. If the skull were a human crystal skull that when placed into a certain doo-dad in a pyramid or something made a super lazer, that I think would have been acceptable. Movie saved, even with the monkey scene.

Rising Stars was so brilliant, 3 clear story archs all connected cleanly, no clear cut bad guy, just victims and people who thought what they were doing was for the best....and then we ruin it all with an alien spaceship...honestly, if the item in the barn was some sort of device to spread the reserved powers of the remaining heroes to everyone on earth, so everyone had a chance to feel what it was like, THAT would have been a logical well thought out ending. Instead, we had a very clear, very good ending, and then we HAD to tack on an alien spaceship for closure.

Watchmen, seriously as much as people bitch about the movie...audiences would not have accepted a giant alien thing in the middle of new york. Their version was just so much more logical, everything fit together seemlessly, I seriously think they did a great job with their artistic licence. Mathew good in his "I am evil, but dont notice it please" costume was a bad choice, but not everything can be perfect...although the dude who played "Johns" would have been way better.

Im not sure when it happened, maybe M Knight Shamalamaboobalon is to blame, but the sudden "IT WAS ALIENS!!! WHAT A TWIST!!!" endings are just completely retarded. No More.
Back to top Go down
Tally
Admin
Tally

PostSubject: Re: Rising Stars and various spoilers   Rising Stars and various spoilers EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 11:01 am

You are not the only one to have a problem with the alien ending of Indiana Jones 4. Apparently that point was raised so much that Lucas had to release a statement to justify the ending, and basically this is what he said. During the time period of the first three movies, at that time frame in history, the general population was really interested in holy artifacts, espeically the Nazi's as they were interested in everything to do with the occult. That's a continued theme in many other movies like Hellboy. Now in the fourth movie, most people in that time period were interested in aliens as that was the time of the whole Roswell rumour. So his justification is that he's just going by what was deemed popular for that time period. It doesn't fix the fact that the movie had no bang for its buck.

Now as for watchmen, and I'm sorry Allen Moore, but I liked the movie far better then the book, including the ending, it made more sense. In the comic book, I actually hated all the characters, I felt that they weren't as developed as I liked and that I couldn't sympathize with them in the least. The characters in the movie however were well done, and that includes Matt Goode. I agree that Cole Hauser (Johns from Riddick) would have fit the comic book Ozymandias better, but I couldn't stand that character in the book, he was just so.... pompous and gay! Matt Goode put his own spin on the character, made him more snivelling, more creepy, and more justified in his evil plan for world peace, and I sympathized with the character. At the end of the comic book, when the newspaper gets Rorshachs journel, I was happy that ozymandias' plan would be thwarted. However in the movie, I did a "shit, that will undo everything! nooooo!" And it wasn't just Ozymandias, I hated Night Owl, Silk Spectre and Dr. Manhattan, and in the movie, loved them and sympathized with them, especially Mr. Blue Penis, felt sorry that he lost his "connection" with the rest of humanity. And when Night Owl scored with Silk Spectre in the movie, I felt like clapping, cause Silk Spectre was awesome in that movie, which is nice since she was so boring and dull in the comic book.

So favorite character in the book, Rorshach hands down, favorite in the movie, Ozymandias, Matt Goode put a spin on the character that was far enough from the comic book that I liked him.
Back to top Go down
https://geekstuff.forumotion.com
Quasi

PostSubject: Re: Rising Stars and various spoilers   Rising Stars and various spoilers EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Ironically, battlestar gallactica, being already in space, had to use the sci fi equivalent. "Um...god did it."
Back to top Go down
Tally
Admin
Tally

PostSubject: Re: Rising Stars and various spoilers   Rising Stars and various spoilers EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 2:02 pm

You know the really funny thing is, when I was planning out the Modern heroes campaign, I had aliens involved at one point, and after this point, I scraped the whole thing. Sorry if I seemed like an ass last night, but a turn of the century idea is actually pretty neat. I just don't know enough of the time period that I'm going to have to do alot of research. Starting by re-reading League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and From Hell
Back to top Go down
https://geekstuff.forumotion.com
Quasi

PostSubject: Re: Rising Stars and various spoilers   Rising Stars and various spoilers EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 8:19 pm

Right now im thinking of a re-examination of The Shadow, gonna take some neat flaws like raspy voice and frightens animals, as well as shadow form and quite possibly enemy 2(law enforcement) and bloodlust. Oh and a slight twist of Delusion. As far as storyline I was thinking former murderer/villian who had a run in with a hero much like ghostrider. I came up with the concept while going over the new rulebook, and then I saw the look I am going for in League of extraordinary gentlemen issue 3, where mina is looking at that photo of a former team, I think his name was Dr Syn. 2x flintlock pistols, big hat, scarf, cloaky thing.
Back to top Go down
Z

PostSubject: Re: Rising Stars and various spoilers   Rising Stars and various spoilers EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 1:07 am

The whole point behind Ozymandias looking the way he did in the comic was so that you got the "What a Twist" feeling when he was ousted as the "bad guy". With Matt Goode playing the version he did, YOU KNEW! There was no, oh what a surprise..... it was just another director slap in the face to people of actual intelligence. They made him that way so they didn't get any complaints from idiots saying "But I didnt get him being the bad guy, I mean he didn't look like one!?!"*Cue retard drooling*

And yes in the comic most of the characters didnt seem that well rounded other then Rorshach. Nightowl just seemed wishy washy, silk spectre was a pair of tits, and dr. manhatten had SO much storyline to him you wanted him to fuck off and just die, and at the end with the whole history lesson speech, ozymandias was made into a poof. Alot of this was, at least I believe, due to some of the art work and somewhat, not sure what to call it so um, clinical writing. The movie gave the characters inflection and attitudes. Voices that you could hear and perhaps get a feeling for the person. In the comic book I thought the Comedian was absolutely disgusting... but in the movie, hands down my favorite character, and not just because of the actor, but because you actually got to see a hero that had given up on helping the world and had decided to go along for the fucked up ride, and it ate him.
Point being all the characters that you didn't really give two shits about in the comic, just came alive in the movie. Nightowl was now the reluctantly reitred hero he was suppose to be, Silk Spectre was the "little girl" that got trapped in a life she didn't really choose, Dr. Manhatten was actually someone you could hate and feel sorry for at the same time, since you weren't bogged down with all that overwelming time shifting prose, Matt Goode could have been a good Ozymandias but the seeing him as the bad guy immediately ruined everything.... And Rorshach, was well Rorschah Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rising Stars and various spoilers   Rising Stars and various spoilers Empty

Back to top Go down

Rising Stars and various spoilers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geek Stuff :: General :: Comic Forum-
Jump to: